Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The List - Travel

A big part of my "40 Things in My 40th Year" list is travel. Given the price tag of some of these trips, it may take me a little longer than a year to get to them all but I will try my hardest. I haven't done nearly as much travelling in my last 10 years as I would have liked - that's the way things go sometimes. I think its time to change that. All of these places have been on my wish list for awhile for a variety of reasons.

I used to have a friend that mocked people who liked to travel. He felt they weren't grounded and were perhaps a bit irresponsible wanting to see the world. While everyone is entitled to do what is right for them, I don't necessarily agree with his outlook. Travel gives you perspective. It can stimulate and relax. It can make you appreciate where you are from while at the same time show you the magic of other cultures, places and people. Sometimes it is simply about fun. Other times its about food (yay!). Maybe it might give you a window into your own past. I think travel helps us learn and can help us be more tolerant, open people.

On the list for 2014/2015, early 2016 are (lottery win may be required):


  1. Napa Valley - If all goes to plan, this is where I will actually celebrate my 40th birthday. I want to eat good food and drink good wine. Rinse and repeat.
  2. Vegas - its been 9 or so years and I'd like to try some different things there that I didn't get to do the first time around.
  3. Ireland - I've wanted to go to Ireland for more than 20 years. A certain someone I know is getting married there next year. What better reason to head over there?
  4. Vancouver - Ive been on a few business trips here but I want to go back and do a long weekend adventure in and around Vancouver.
  5. Montreal - I've never been here. Which makes me a bad Canadian, a bad foodie and it also makes me sad. Its been on the list about 15 years. It's time Montreal, it's time. Perhaps while I'm there I could do a visit to Quebec City too. I love that place.
  6. Italy - I've been to Italy for a day - not quite enough. There are so many places I want to see in Italy, many trips in my life will be needed. 
  7. Boston - This has been on my list since I was about 14 and wanted to go to Harvard law. My reasons for travelling there may have shifted but I still want to check out the city.
  8. Chicago - Another place I've always wanted to go to and just explore for a long weekend.
  9. San Francisco
Its' a lofty list but with some planning maybe it can all happen, right?



5 comments:

  1. I always wanted to visit San Francisco! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know when I am going!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Lauren. I recommend you add Saskatchewan to your list. If not this year, maybe to your 41st.

      Delete
    3. How did I miss Saskatchewan? Regina?

      Delete
  2. I hear hawaii is lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete